Calculate your BMI
BMI is calculated as follows:
- BMI = weight (kg) divided by height squared (m²)
If pounds and inches are used:
- BMI = weight (Ibs) multiplied by 703, then divided by height squared (inches²)¹
BMI provides a method for approximating weight status and correlates with risk of disease and death due to causes associated with obesity.2
As BMI increases, the associated level of disease risk for type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease (CVD), relative to normal weight and waist circumference, also increases.3
Enter the following information and calculate your body mass index (BMI).
1. NHLBI Obesity Education Initiative. 2000;00-4084:1-94.
2. WHO: Body mass index – BMI. http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/disease-prevention/nutrition/a-healthy-lifestyle/body-mass-index-bmi. Accessed 15 August 2016.
3. Klein S et al. In: Williams Textbook of Endocrinology. 12th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier; 2011:1605-1632.